Sunday, July 27, 2008

So Proud!!

Last week the city of Indianapolis organized a city wide week of community service (called Faith, Hope & Love). All churches (no matter the denomination) are invited to participate. There are lots of different places to serve. I chose to visit a retirement home to appreciate the staff (by baking cookies, muffins) and visit the residents. As best I could, I tried to prepare Faith before we left the house to tell her what we were about to do. I explained that some of the people we were going to see needed a visit from a friend and would love for a little child to talk with them. I went over some "possible dialog" for her to say and some questions they may ask her. I did this because Faith usually gets SUPER clingy in new, unfamiliar situations....gripping my leg and saying repeatedly, "I want to hold you!" I used to work in a nursing home and I know how much the elderly LOVE to see young children (but sadly, most young children become terrified in their environment). I was really hoping Faith could bless the people we would see and not clam up. Even though I prepared her a bit, I was just sure that she would cling to me as soon as it was time to greet our first new friend.

Take a look at what happened as soon as we met Ms. W...

I was GLOWING!! I wanted everyone to know that this precious little girl working a puzzle with Ms. W. was my daughter! She needed no coaching at all!! She hopped up in the chair and immediately began trying to put pieces together!


This picture cracks me up for 2 reasons...1) her t-shirt says, "Tobacco kills people" No need to beat around the bush with that t! 2) in true older lady fashion, Ms. W. had no reservations about letting Faith know she was not working the puzzle right! She put her hand over Faith's and said (in a not mean but not nice tone), "That piece doesn't go there!" Faith didn't mind a bit and just moved on. Wow! She really made me so proud today!!

We are going to print off these pictures (well maybe just the first one) and go visit Ms. W. again. She really was sweet and we enjoyed meeting her so much!

Faithy, I am always proud to be your mother, but I was especially proud of the way you moved past your fears and reached out bless our new friends today! I love you dearly!!

7 comments:

jaime s said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jaime s said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jaime s said...

Faith, I'm so proud of you honey, and I know you brightened the day of the many people you met. You are precious to me, and I love you! A big thanks to your sweet Mommy for showing you how to be so loving and kind to people.

I love you,

Daddy

Monica said...

How sweet!!!! Your little Faith has gotten so big. I can see how that would be a proud mommy moment!!

candice said...

Those are the moments that rejuvenate you as a parent! Sweet girl. Her hair is getting so long!

Amelia got your quilt! Love it. So cute and so cuddly. She slept with it last night. Thank you!

I've decided you need to get on facebook.

Jennie said...

So cute and precious! You should be proud!

Jerri said...

It's so wonderful that you and Faith went to the nursing home! I was part of a church where the women visited the nursing home, and the patients who were unable to do much. I still remember Don and Nathan dancing in the middle of our circle of church ladies and wheelchairs, as we sang She'll be Coming around the Mountain, Jesus Loves Me and a lot of other favorites. You're right, the old people LOVE seeing children, and it's so good for the children to bless their lives. You should be proud of Faith.