Friday, January 06, 2006

Daddy's Girl...


(posted by Jaime)

Murray has asked me for quite awhile to post something on his blog. Not being much of a writer, I have politely declined but told him I would write something as soon as I thought of something "newsworthy" to share. Well, I've experienced one of the sweetest events of my life and thought it was now time to share a little story within a story because it (to me) is one of the sweetest gestures I've witnessed....

As you know, Murray and I met our baby daughter, Faith Kinder on December 20th. She is absolutely perfect...as you can see by looking at her pictures!! The story I wanted to share happened two days after Faith was born. Murray and I scurried around the hospital room trying to get everything ready for our big trip home! It took WAY longer than we first planned..I guess that is a bit of foreshadowing for what's to come. Faith and I finally settled into the hospital wheelchair for the ride down to the car. Murray was a few steps ahead of us taking pictures like any proud papa would. When we got to the car, he opened my door first and helped me inside. Then, he got Faith all buckled in behind the passenger's side and we were ready to drive away. I will never forget the next sentence out of Murray's mouth for I think it's one of the sweetest, most precious things a daddy could say. He said, "We are going to take a longer way home because I don't want to take any left hand turns and expose Faith to any unsafe drivers." So what could've been a 10 minute trip turned into about a 20 minute drive so that this new daddy could protect his sweet little girl! I tear up just thinking about it!

Murray has continued to amaze me by his selfless and protective nature. I have LOVED watching him love and care for our sweet baby girl. I loved him so much before Faith was born and that love multipled to a level I never thought possible the instant I saw him hold her. How is that possible????

Any mommies, daughters, or daddies want to share a story about how your spouse or parent melted your heart with a simple, sweet gesture of love? I'd love to hear them. Thanks for letting me share this story with you!!

13 comments:

Jenni said...

Awwww -- that is so very sweet. What a great daddy!

Val said...

here's another....AAAAAWWWWWWWWWWW!!

Well, I don't have story that pops to head but I am the youngest of three kids in my family. My daddy started calling me a long time ago his "favorite daughter". When I was young I thought this was cool because it put me above my brothers in the pecking order. It wasn't until I was probably a teenager that I realized that I was his ONLY daughter. But that title is still special between us and I'm proud to be my daddy's favorite daughter.

Murray, I'll allow you to borrow this name, but if you have another little girl be careful and change the nick name.

Anonymous said...

Jaime
I was crying the whole time I was reading ur post. I happy to here that story.
I love you and Murray and Faith,
Sarah L'Italien

Leann said...

That is a precious story!!

Anonymous said...

This story just makes me laugh and laugh and laugh. I'll be laughing for days. Too cute.

Anonymous said...

Jaime-

What a sweet story! It’s so incredible the desire that daddies have to protect their little girls. Faith really is a very blessed little girl to have such a sweet daddy. I know that they will always have a special relationship because of his selfless love for her.

I’m with you in that seeing Jimmy with Aidyn, and now with Delaney, is the sweetest thing in the world and makes me fall ten times more in love with him than I ever could have thought possible before we had kids.

Jimmy is such a sweet little daddy and is, I think, Aidyn’s favorite playmate in the whole world. Delaney and I were out of town for a wedding this last week-end, and I’m pretty sure Aidyn never missed me because she was having such a good time with her daddy.

One of the things that Aidyn is very passionate about is dancing. She takes her dancing very seriously and Jimmy is her very favorite dancing partner. The other night we were all down in the basement and Jimmy and Aidyn did a dancing show for me while I fed Delaney. Aidyn has a Little People toy that plays music for about 15 seconds when you press on of the buttons. She would press the button and she and Jimmy would dance as hard as they could until the music stopped, at which point Aidyn would say, with great enthusiasm, “Oh! We need some more music!” as she went to press the button again. Jimmy danced with her through I don’t know how many presses of the button, having just as much fun as she was, simply because of the joy it was bringing to her (and maybe a little because of the amusement I was getting from the creativity of his “moves” – he is, after all, a church of Christ boy;). I adore his willingness to get down on the floor and do things that most grown men would never think of doing, just because he wants to be a part of girls lives in a way that he can only do by joining them in what they love to do.

This is a great post. I hope there will be lots of sweet daddy stories posted in response!

Amanda

Anonymous said...

How precious! If only we could shield our little ones like that for their entire lives! Just wait until the bumps & bruises come from toddeling around...ouch! If Daddy Michael had it his way, he would carpet every hard wood and tile surface in our house, and bolt EVERYTHING down to prevent falling/rolling/sliding that might hurt Gavin. He even (seriously) commented that we'll have to get "let's see...1,2...3,4,5.." more gates to block off "dangerous areas" of the house. I had to alert him that that's called a cage, and cages won't be allowed! All we can do is protect to the best of our humanly ability, and leave the rest up to our Heavenly Father...the ultimate protector. Love you guys!

Ellyn said...

Chelsea always fought going to sleep when she was an infant. So Jay would put on an Acapella CD and sing in his bass voice the song "Sweet Fellowship" and he would hold Chelsea on his chest and slowly move around the living room with her and sing and she would fall asleep!!!

What would Daddys do without their little girls?

Jacque said...

My dad's special time with me was story time before bed. He travelled a lot when we lived in Florida, so we recorded our story times on tape so I could listen to them while he was away. I still have the tape. :)

Jenna Bunner said...

Hi Jaime -- you don't know me, but I followed Murray's links from a comment made on the Vaughn's blog,and I'm happy to read what God has done in your lives. I love my memories of Murray at Harding, and I know I would love you, too. God bless your baby girl and this new adventure you've embarked on!

Jenna Bunner said...

by the way, hi Murray! I love the pictures, and I know you're going to be a great dad. Your statement of "who you are" is an awesome testimony, and I praise God for your life and ministry. I'm going to tell Frank about your detour to protect your girl. That was precious.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the heart warming story. My son is 4 1/2 years older than his little sister. I had read a book about welcoming your 2nd child so the 1st doesn't feel left out. In the book it said when the older child comes to the hospital the mother should not be holding the baby that way she can hug her older child. So that is what I did, when my son came into my hospital room I had my arms out wide ready to hug him. And he just gave me this really weird look and said "Where is my baby!" He didn't even hug me he went straight over to her bassinet. On the way home from the hospital as we were turning into our subdivison he looked as "his baby" and said "we are almost home". Which we so funny because that was we had always said to him as we were turning into the subdivison. Dad's are great but so are big brothers.

Anonymous said...

Is that a candy cane, or a baby? Very sweet and cute in that outfit!