Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Favorite Things...

Unlike Oprah, I won't be able to give these things away but here are a few of my favorite things from this past year!! (In no particular order...just the order blogger posted the pics)


I LOVE LOVE LOVE this show!! It is SO INSPIRING! I didn't catch onto it until season 3 (to be honest, I was quit turned off by the "previews" not really understanding what the show was about, besides overweight people with their shirts off). I happened upon a Biggest Loser marathon one Saturday and watched the ENTIRE THING!! I was sort of embarrassed but it really changed me. I know that sounds cheesy and weird but it did! So check it out some Tuesday night on NBC! (I got the Cardio and Sculpting workout DVDs for Christmas...can't wait to try them out!! I've been sick for 7 days but I've watched them and can't wait to join the "team" and trainers!)

One of my favorite features of our new home are these bad boys!! We had to purchase our own since the W/D didn't convey. These guys make doing laundry almost enjoyable. If only someone would invent an automatic clothes folder and put awayer!


Of course, OUR FAVORITE NEW "thing" from this year is this little guy! Eli Burkhalter, born June 12th. We LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE this little guy!

This smile!!!! We've never seen a child smile so much and he has captured our hearts!!

This other little guy in red is the direct result of countless prayers (four years worth). His name is Cade and we loved him WAY before we ever met him. He is the first tangible answer to years of prayer that I've experienced and I will NEVER forget the phone call from his parents announcing his arrival and the day I walked into the hospital looking at him for the first time!


Blogging! I really like catching up with friends and learning about their lives, interests, etc. My favorite new blog is this one.... http://www.namefreak.blogspot.com/ Check it out. It's super fun! My friend, Kelli has an obsession with baby names and this blog is one of her outlets! It's super fun....did I say that already???



The Go Fish Guys! Anyone with kids MUST check them out. I HIGHLY recommend their DVD, "Showtime" AND their cd "Superstar" Their C'mas album was great and we've heard great things about their cd, "Splash". You really will like them, I promise! http://www.gofishguys.com/

Meal planning! This surprised me as I used to view this as a burden of sorts but I think God's helped change me and now I really enjoy it. Each week I select a cookbook from my cabinet (or checkout one from the library) and I choose about 5 dinners I want to make (I allow 2 days for leftovers since most recipes make 6 servings and we only have 2 "real" eaters.) It makes me feel like I am providing for my family and it gives my grocery store runs a specific purpose (not to mention the money I save buying things I KNOW I'll use instead of things I THINK I might use. I plan to dedicate one day a week on this blog sharing a trusted recipe (and allowing readers to post a recipe for our family to try).

Having a 2 year old! Yes, I really mean that. Discipline has been a challenge but we are finding that if we are consistent and fair to Faith (i.e...playing with her, giving her a loose structure to her day, making nap time at the same time each day, letting her be active, etc.) her behavior changes DRAMATICALLY! It's funny how so much of how she acts is based on how we act/treat her (if we let things slide too much, let household tasks become too important, etc.). I've been really convicted to give her more structure and FOCUSED time. It's made a world of difference.

My favorite part of having a two year old is watching her language skills EXPLODE! I know it's the speech pathologist in me but I just can't help wanting to do a toe touch every time she says a new word or learns a new concept. It is SO MUCH FUN!!

There are tons of other favorite things but that's all I can think of right now (it's after midnight).
So what are some of your favorite things from this past year????

8 comments:

Murray Sanderson said...

Being married to you & raising our little smilers.

Kelli said...

thanks for the shoutout! i am really enjoying the name blog too. :)

i am also finding it fun to raise a 2-year-old. while it can be frustrating at times, it can also be quite rewarding. your list is a great idea! :)

Katherine said...

I'm right there with you on the language thing (and I'm not even an SLP - but I did work with lots of them! :)). I can't tell you how many times I'd find myself counting the morphemes when Nelson would rattle off a sentence! Discipline is a big issue here, too -- but I think that's just their age. I love that he's getting old enough to reason with when things happen, though -- what a difference that makes!

AND I couldn't agree more about Eli's smile. Maybe you should post one picture a week of that wonderful smile! :)

Anonymous said...

Jaime,

I love this idea!! I always have a changing list. Here is the current one:
1. CNN.com--My only source of news. I love the headlines as well as the actual stories.
2. People Magazine--I HAVE to get it every week or I sink into a deep depression.
3. Kiss My Face Handsoap--www.kissmyface.com. It is natural soap that is FINALLY being carried by my grocery store. I love it.
4. Pink Long Underwear--the most comfortable pj's in the world.
5. Red Bell Peppers--I eat very poorly, and I am trying to be better. I have decided I really like to snack on bell peppers--red and green. Who knew?
6. PBS' Jane Austen Masterpiece Series--Sunday Night Movies for the next 8 weeks that are all Jane Austen, on public TV!

Fun! Eileen

jaime s said...

Kelli and Katherine isn't it hard to believe that 2 YEARS AGO we were all BRAND NEW Mommies???

Eilene--loved your list. I'll have to check out some of those things. I enjoy People from time to time. I usually only get to indulge myself when traveling. One time I bought an issue 4 days before my trip and I had to "hide" it so I wouldn't read it before I got on the plane. It's the perfect airplane entertainment for me. I'll have to check out the Jane Austen series. S&S is my ALL TIME favorite movie. I got it on DVD for C'mas (I should've added that to my list since I've endured the VHS version for over 10 years). Thanks for your comment!

Amanda said...

Hey! This is a fun blog:) I like the part about Faith's behavior being impacted so much by the level of effort you put into structuring her day, engaging her, etc. It might seem so simple, but it really is a challenge to stay structured, stay engaged and have purposeful interactions with your children on a daily basis. I often struggle with this, but the fruit is definitely there when I choose to be disciplined with them.

Some favorite things from this year for me are:
1)The birth of Anderson - I truly cannot think of a better word to describe him than delightful:)
2)The book "Clean House, Clean Planet" - a relatively new favorite thing, but it has some great recipes for non-toxic, really cheap household cleaners.
3)Trader Joe's peanut butter - it's natural, but not all chalky like lots of natural peanut butters
4)My new Nikon D40x camera - the only modes I've used are flash on and flash off:), but it takes such great pictures and is so fun to use - I have lots to learn, though!
5)The Vaccine Book, by Dr. Sears. I've read a lot of info on childhood vaccinations (mostly because I'm a dork:), but this one was full of really helpful, straight-forward and unbiased (I think) information.

Some of those are kind of random, but probably because they are just my most recent favorite things. Wow! This turned out to be a really long comment:) Happy New Year to you guys!

Jerri said...

Favorite new things?
First and foremost-Our new little grandson, Conner Steven Harrington and my new "career" as a stay at home Grandma

Seeing our son and his wife become awesome parents--watching them delight in their boy!

Looking forward to a new "daughter" when son Don marries Elise Swenson in October.

Seeing our new little friend, Bennett Speck growing and getting healthier every day...one of our newest miracles.

And also seeing Lauren Schwamb becoming a two year old....she was really wanting to be on stage with her daddy during the Christmas Eve service.

My art classes at the Torpedo Factory and my Saturdays there talking to the artists in the galleries. They have really encouraged me to pursue publishing my children's books

Playing my clarinet with Don, especially on the talent show. We had so much fun, and it reminded us of when we were dating.

I've been enjoying YouTube....you can watch anything on there. I found old Carol Burnett shows on there and some encouraging weight loss stories.

Getting to know our sons as adults...learning how to still be mom but let go of mothering....

Jerri said...

I forgot to say....watching my husband become an awesome Grandad who loves his little grandson! That goes right at the top of my list!