Monday, January 28, 2008

New Day....

I can't believe I'm about to do this but I feel like I need to so here goes.....

I am overweight. (I can already hear some of you saying, "You are not." "You just had a baby.") But the truth is I am. I feel it when I put on my clothes. I see it when I look in the mirror. I confirm it when I eat. (lack of self control: eating portions that are at least double what my body needs and having NO CONTROL over my consumption of sweets). I don't think I am honoring God with my eating habits. So therefore, I finally realized it's time for a "new day".

I currently weigh 165 pounds. Isn't that crazy?!?! I remember reaching 150 in college and thought that was INSANELY high. My goal weight is between 135-140. I am not focused on that number as much as how I look and feel. I want to be fit and feel good in my skin again. I've definitely slacked off WAY TOO LONG!! So there it is....the big ugly number and I am owning it today and working to lower it by the choices I make each day.

So here is my plan. (I am sharing it on this blog so that I will actually follow through. I can't count the number of Mondays I've started over. It's definitely time to just do it!)

1) keep a daily journal of the food I've consumed each day and set a goal to consume no more than 1400 calories/day.
2) complete at least one 30 minute workout 5-6 days a week.
3) allow myself a "free day" with an extra 500 calories allowed that day.
4) give a weekly update on this blog with my successes and setbacks.

I am typing this after just hopping off of our newly purchased treadmill (Thanks, Wax family!). I just jogged for 2.5 miles, burning 368 calories. I feel GREAT!!

So here I go! I am off with the Biggest Loser theme song ringing in my head..."What have you done today to make you feel proud????"

Anyone care to join me??? You can post your successes and setbacks with me each week if you want! I'd love some company!

11 comments:

Jenni said...

good for you Jaime!

I too am on the weight loss track -- I reached my all time high back in the fall (no, I'm not going to tell the number) and my doctor finally told me that I was on the verge of several health problems that could be prevented/solved by losing weight and being more active.

My goal weight is similar to yours, but I agree it will depend on how I look and feel when I decide it is time to stop losing. So far I've lost about 15 pounds doing weight watchers and slowly increasing my activity - though it is very easy for me to skip going to Curves after work.

So, thanks for posting this out there and know that I'm trying with you!

Kim said...

I going to join you .. I am way overdue to loose weight and tone up.. I currently weight 166 lbs. My goal weight is 130-135.. I am going to start by using my Body for Life journal so I can write everything down.. I am also going to start writing out my menu for the week.... and I can't for get going to the gym..... until next week.....

Murray Sanderson said...

You look great, honey, but I will do all that I can to help you reach YOUR goals, and I'll cheer you on every step of the way. You are truly beautiful, inside & out, and I grow more in love with you every day.

Sorry to be so mushy in front of everyone!

And thanks to all of your blog readers for my birthday wishes. 40 isn't so bad after all! Saying my wife is 31 still makes me sound like such a stud! ;)

Murray

Brooks Inc. said...

jamie-

I am so proud of you! I encourage you every step of the way and wnat you to know tha tif it were not for my current pregnant stae I woudl be joining you on this journey...However, I can assure you will not be posting my current weight over the next 9 months :).

Look for me to be calling for some encouragement around the end of August!

I love you so and agree with Murray...you are truly beautiful inside and out!

BJB

Jill said...

jamie, i think what you are doing is awesome! i too have reached a point beyond anything i ever could have imagined for myself (not sure my number, but I know it from looking at myself). i don't have my plan in place yet, but i have got to get some self-control and motivation. i'm sure your posts will encourage me to get my act together too! btw, i tried to wish murray a happy 40th, but had issues with blogger that day. please let him know tim and i said hi!

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you for being so brave, motivated, and proactive. With my 8 day old baby, my days of blaming my pregnancy are numbered. I'm anxious to stay updated on your success (which I KNOW you'll have), so it can motivate me on my upcoming journey to loose my 16 more lbs remaining from pregnancy & then some that I started the pregnancy with. I love you Jamie! You'll be in my prayers :)

Jerri said...

You know I'm with you Jaime! You've been so encouraging to me. I'm not giving my number either, but I will say I want to lose 90 more lbs. I agree with Murray that you are beautiful, but I also want to encourage you. If you work on your number, you won't ever reach high numbers, like mine!

tamandscott said...

That's awesome!! I totally recommend thedailyplate.com

You can put your current weight and weight loss goals and track your calorie intake each day. It gives you a goal, etc. It's free (that's the best part). Good luck, girlfriend!!

Laura Scott said...

You go Jaime! I've been trying to keep track of my calories and lose this weight too. I know you will be much better and more successful than I ever will be at this. If you look closely in my latest pictures on my blog, you can see my reflections in the pots. I only wish everyone saw me as distorted as the pots make me look. I actually look good on their curves! Anyway....you go! You can do it!!!!

angie c said...

Go Jaime Go!

I'm proud of you no matter what you look like. As Murray said, you are beautiful inside and out! Love you!!

Sarah said...

Hi Jaime!

I want to tell you how brave I think you are for being so public about your weight loss goals, but I know that having a support group always makes you more likely to succeed no matter what the goal is. Weight loss has been on my mind quite a bit lately, but I have been struggling to get started.

My physical therapist had started me on a swimming program, but I had a really bad flare up that lasted about 2 weeks, so they had me stop again at least for another couple of weeks. My doctors have also told me that I need to be realistic about my weight loss goals. Considering that my disorder limits my activity level considerably, all of my many medications cause weight gain, and the impulse to eat when the pain gets really bad, I know it is going to be very difficult for me. My psychologist recommended that I start with small changes like cutting down the portions of what I eat, limiting the amounts of food that isn't as good for me, and reaching for fruits and veggies when the pain gets bad because when that causes me to eat I am eating to make myself feel better and not because I am hungry.

Well, I will stop hogging your blog. I just want you to know that you are not alone in this and that there are many people out there that understand the pain of not liking what they see in the mirror. I truly think you look wonderful, but it doesn't matter what I think about you, it matters what YOU think about you. I know you can do this. Stay strong and call me if you need a boost!