Saturday, June 28, 2008

Summer Reading Program


Our library has a summer reading program that Faith L-O-V-E-S!! For every 2 books she reads, she gets to color a monkey's footprint. After coloring 16 footprints (reading 32 books), she gets to take her reading log to the library to receive a prize. There are 4 prizes in all. This has been so much fun for both of us. Before this program, Faith wouldn't let me read to her. She liked to take the book and "read" it herself. I explained the "rules" of the program to her and told her that it didn't count if she didn't let me read her the whole story. Now, she will let me read and read and read and read to her. It is SO MUCH FUN!!

I am leaving a list of some of Faith's favorite books for some of you who like to take your kids to the library. I would love to hear what books your kids are enjoying/have enjoyed when they were toddlers. Sometimes we just randomly grab a book but I love going to the library in search of specific books. Especially ones that have been tested by other toddlers we know and love!

Faith's current favorites....

1) What Shall We Do With the Boo Hoo Baby? by Cressida Cowell, Ingrid Godon
2) Boo Hoo Boo-Boo by Marilyn Singer (she's really into Boo Hoo/Boo Boos)
3) Brown Bear, Brown Bear What do you See? by Bill Martin Jr. (loves this whole series)
4) Whose Shoes? by Anna Grossnickle Hines
5) Froggy Learns to Swim by Jonathan London (loves this series too)
6) Let's Be Animals by Ann Turner
7) Whose Baby Am I? by John Butler
8) Baby Bear Discovers the World by Marion Dane Bauer
9) What Makes a Rainbow? by Betty Schwartz
10) The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle
Let us know what you think we should check out next....

7 comments:

Katherine said...

So glad that Faith is having fun with books this summer! Nelson LOVES to read! :) He goes through phases with books -- he'll have a few that he wants to read over and over for a few weeks, then he'll move on to other books. :) Some of his favorites lately -- Madeline by Ludwig Bemelmans, Blueberries for Sal by Robert McCloskey, Capital! Washington DC from A to Z and one of the Richard Scarry word books. His perennial favorites are Hop on Pop, Green Eggs and Ham, and Go Dogs, Go. We also have a small fleet of train / airplane / space books that he likes to read often. :) At the library we love looking for other books written by authors that we already love -- Anne Rockwell, Pat Hutchins, Donald Crews and Byron Barton are a few. :)

jaime s said...

Thanks, Katherine! I'll take Nelson's list with us this week when we visit the library!

I forgot to mention, "Go, Dog. Go" ...that's also one of Faith's favorites! Her favorite line is "And now do you like my hat?" (and the lines that follow!)

Katherine said...

How cute would it be if we lived near you guys and we could dress up them up as the two dogs with the hats for halloween? :)

Candice said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Candice said...

Sandra Boynton books have a fun rhythm. She has a ton but we really like Pajama Time, Barnyard Dance, and Snuggle Puppy.

I wish we had gotten involved with our summer reading program. We love the library, but I have slacked with going since Amelia was born.

Unknown said...

Hey Jamie, I found your blog awhile back (I think on Jenny's).....looks like we are in the same stage of life! Kenny and I are back in Dallas with our two kids. Our 2 favorite books right now are the Three Little Pigs and The Three Bears (Trey loves the Golden Books). Glad to see you all are doing well. Libby Henry

Jerri said...

Okay, Conner and I love Sandra Boynton....especially, I Want to be your Personal Penguin. We love
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? The Very Hungry Caterpillar, You and Me Little Bear, and Just Me and Grandma (which I just bought). He also likes books about farms, because I do some serious farm animals! (my area of expertise....) I highly recommend the book 7 Special Days, about creation and To Everything There is a Season. My preschool kids loved those! Happy reading, Faith and Jaime!