Monday, August 07, 2006

No more tears!

Well, our sweet little one is now an "independent sleeper". Thanks to Dr. Ferber, Faithy now goes to sleep on her own. We were told this would take 4 nights but being the "advanced learner" that she is, Faith mastered this skill after night #1! Our first night was ROUGH....I nearly caved in but Murray encouraged me to let her figure this out. It took her 1 hour to stop crying and fall asleep. On the second night, Faith nearly lept out of my arms during our nighttime routine so I said a quick prayer for her and put her in her bed and left. After about 5 minutes of playing she went to sleep....with no tears at all!!! I tried our new sleeping plan this afternoon during naptime...thinking there's no way it would work b/c she never sleeps longer than 30 minutes unless I'm holding her and I am sitting very still....but I went through our "routine" and again she tried to get out of my arms so I put her in her bed and left. Not a peep out of her for nearly 2 hours!! Wow!! Tonight makes night #3 and we had another tear free night! Why did we wait so long to let her learn to fall asleep on her own?? (the books say you can start around 4 months but sometimes kids aren't developmentally ready until 6 months). Well, we are believers in Dr. Ferber's method. I hope that typing this post doesnt' undo all our progress!!!

P.S. We haven't been able to post any pics for the last several weeks. One reason why I haven't been blogging much. Anyone else having trouble or have any suggestions on what to do???

9 comments:

Leann said...

YEA, Faithy!!!

I have been having problems with the photo upload function in Blogger as well. I don't know if they're working on it or what, but maybe if all of us get together and send them emails to their help line, they'll look into it.

:)

angie c said...

Yea Faith!!! I'm so proud of her, and you! I know how hard it is to let them cry it out. Here's to hoping Faith continues this for a long, long, long time. :)

Laura Scott said...

I remember the sleeping battles we had. I just loved to hold my kids too much and rock them. Ocasionally Jake still comes in our room at night, but he's growing out of it. I've never heard of Ferber. Sounds like your doing a good job mom!!!
I had trouble with pictures from day one with my blog. I pushed on help and downloaded Picasa. Then from Picasa I downloaded HELLO. This is much easier for me to blog on. The only thing is that each picture I send is a seperate entry. I haven't figured out how to send mare than one at a time. Good luck!

Mark Lowenstein said...

Funny that you mentioned about this.. In case you did not know, us being "deaf" parents, we have this baby cry signaler that signals to our bedroom light. When our child makes noises (crying, especially), the light flashes letting us know the baby is making some noise. We'll know when the baby is crying, it flashes like crazy.. It's like a person is playing with the light switch. It can go on for an hour, even two hours at the most!

Instead, you're listening to the sounds while we're watching the flashing light. It is still vivid in my memory.

Since we don't hear the "crying sounds" at night, we thought of the two: the sounds of "seemingly-hurtful-crying" in the next room or the sight of "painful-bright-flashing-lights"? :)

Anonymous said...

I am happy that Faith is fall asleep on your own.
She is grow so fast.
Love,
Miss. Sarah

Candice said...

Faith has been Ferberized,huh?Successful sleeping is such a blessing! Enjoy!

Jerri said...

That's a great leap of Faith! (Sorry, I couldn't resist.) Seriously, it is great that you are taking steps to give Faith some skills of independence. Chris was about 6-7 months old before he went to sleep on his own (no Ferber back then....) Steve was a cuddly little baby who slept like a rock! (I had to wake him for feedings!) Don (son) was only 8 months old when I became pregnant with Nathan. He had been sleeping on his own, but I was afraid he wouldn't get to be a baby long enough, so I started rocking him to sleep each night and was doing that until he was over a year old. Nathan grew out of it long before Don did. He let me rock him for a bit, and then was ready for his little bed! I had a harder time giving up rocking them to sleep than they did! Chris used to wake me up when he was a toddler by yelling, "MA!" until I came to get him. He was always confident like that. I can't wait to see what our grandkids are like! Have fun...it goes by fast!

Anonymous said...

my babies were forced to sleep with me until they demanded otherwise. boo hoo.

Anonymous said...

Regarding sleep issues, I find this a helpful link..

http://www.sleeplady.com/

Kim West is a social worker who specializes in sleep.

Glad to hear that things are working well.
Melissa B