Friday, January 19, 2007

Murray's Birthday tradition....

My Hubby LOVES cars. Last year, we discovered that the annual Washington D.C. Auto Show comes to town the week of Murray's birthday. Murray's sister, Melody, bought tickets for us to all attend. I was a bit fearful since Faith was barely a month old....but I knew how excited Murray was about the event so we all headed downtown to see the latest and greatest the auto industry had to offer.

D.C. Auto Show January 2006



Faithy and Daddy in the new Land Rover

Melody checking out the King Ranch Expedition (a totally "Texas" vehicle!!)

Murray and I tried out this Jeep exhibit. It was a really cool "ride" that showed off all the ways that Jeep models can handle the off roads. (Aunt Melody watched Faith from the sidelines!)

I am mesmerized by Murray's knowledge and passion for "cool" cars. He doesn't sit and read ANY car magazines, yet, he can tell you the make, model and year of a car from 50 feet away. It's truly amazing. He knows the value, how many were made (so of course, when we find a car on the road that has less than 1,000 in production, we have to speed up in order to get the best look.) On a trip back from AL, we were in a moving van hauling furniture to our home in VA and Murray spotted some really rare (and incredibly expensive...I'll let him add the details in the comments) car and he floored the u-haul truck to no avail...we didn't quite have the same get up and go as this car but MAN was he excited!! He has scared me a time or two when we've been driving around b/c all the sudden he'll yell out and I think something is terribly wrong. I begin scanning our surroundings and don't see anything out of the ordinary. He'll then point to a car and say (with more enthusiasm than you could ever imagine), "That's a _________ (enter in the name of a really cool, rare, expensive car!). And then all the facts about that car come spilling out of his mouth. (It's the cutest thing!! ) I just wish I had an ounce of knowledge to help add to the conversation. But I simply say, "whoa, you scared me!" and then, "Wow, that's really neat!" (Pretty lame, I know!!)

I love his passion and am more than happy to accompany him back to the D.C. Auto Show this year (5 more days!!). I'll post some pics from this year's show (with our 13 month old daughter in tow) next week. Stay tuned. I know you'll be blown away. I may even try to name the models in the pics this year.


1 comment:

jaime s said...

Honey, you're so cute. You give me way too much credit. Although I don't take Motortrend or Car and Driver, I read as much as I can in dr.'s waiting rooms, and in auto repair waiting rooms, which we've had plenty of time in! The car on 81 as we were driving back from Alabama was a 4-dr Rolls Royce Silver Spur. Absolutely immaculate, and exceeding 85 mph at least. When you're driving a Rolls, the speed limit is viewed as a mere suggestion.
Love you honey, looking forward to the big show next week.
Murray