Sunday, September 18, 2005

Dogs Will Howl

This morning in worship, we sang "Lord, Take My Life", written by Deb Dorman, same lady who set Psalm 124 to music in a contemporary setting ("Had It Not Been the Lord"). This little song, from the Zoe Group's 4th worship project (www.zoegroup.org) , is so easy to learn, and immediately breaks through the mind to the heart. It perfectly complements our new fall series taken from Rick Warren's "The Purpose Driven Life". Thanks to the Fairfax congregation for eagerly jumping in on new songs, and making them your own words/sentiments.

The weather finally broke here in northern Virginia. It's starting to feel like fall...my favorite season! Sat at our picnic table on the back patio this afternoon, in the sun, comfortably, and crammed for my small group lesson. It was great. Not the lesson, but being outside. God did some of his best work when he created Sunday afternoons. ;)

Speaking of small group, we had a good session tonight at Joel & Edye's. Delicious BBQ, Leann! We're working through the Bible study "Experiencing God", learning how to join God in His work in the world, instead of obsessing about "God, what is your will for MY LIFE", we're learning to say, "God, where are you working in this world, and how can we join you?" We expend a lot of energies trying to baptize our plans into God's will; it's such a relief when you START with what God is doing, and then work yourself into THAT. A much better way to live. More exciting too.

Before we launched into the study, a hilariously funny, spontaneous, irrefutable thing happened. It's a moment I won't soon forget. I sort of pride myself on being able to carry a tune. (God's word is true - pride goeth beforeth a falleth.) Occasionally, I harmonize well with others. Rhythm's never been my longsuit, but I know to clap on 2 & 4. I actually collect a paycheck for what I'm supposed to be able to do musically.

However, tonight, my entire musical ability was called into question by Oscar, a Shiba Inu. Yes, a Shiba Inu. (If you don't know what one is, you're like me...you probably can't afford one. It's like Piaget or Hermes or Yves St. Laurent. If you can't say it, don't bother.) Now we love Oscar, and his coloring is beautiful. He's fox-like, only larger, and the kind you'd want to cuddle with. My friend Chris was leading our group in worship through song. We were sailing along, and Oscar would run back & forth to people in the group. The songs on which we clapped were especially exciting for Oscar. It was like, all of a sudden, everyone in the room was clapping for Oscar, beckoning him to come hither and be petted. Chris had just launched into "Ancient of Days", a powerful song of praise based on a passage in the 1st testament book of Daniel. For all of you non-clappers (NOT the same as one-cuppers), "Ancient of Days" is a clapper.

On this song, Oscar came to my side and sat down, watching me sing & worship his creator. I patted his head quickly, and continued singing out to the Lord. All of a sudden, in a way only bad voices & full moons can bring about (and there is a full moon tonight, at least here in Virginia), Oscar lifted his head back, and HOWLED ! It was the most hysterical worship moment I've had in a long time...and I've had some good ones. At first, I tried to continue singing, and then it hit me. I had just been effectivly GONGed by a dog from my own small group. To Oscar, I was just another 'call in the wild' and he wanted to join in. I had no choice but to join my small group in laughter. I can still hear their jabs..."the dog just howled at our worship minister!"

Hey, it was "All creatures of our God and King" in living color. Oscar was just joining in...that's my story and I'm sticking to it. I've always said that God doesn't care how we sound, he just wants us to sing from the heart...yea verily, to make a joyful noise. So for once, I fully acknowledge that even my best efforts are a joyful noise to some, definitely to rare dog breeds...but hopefully, a wonderful sound to my Creator.

Thankfully, Oscar's not an elder.

(Tommorrow morning, we have our 27 week appointment with the doctor. Baby Sanderson is doing great! It's always so fun to hear the heartbeat on the doppler thing.)

4 comments:

Donna said...

What a priceless moment! Would have loved seeing your reaction to your accompaniment. Too funny. Maybe one blog, you can list some of your top "funniest worship moments."

Jenni said...

Murray - I'm so sad that I'm going to miss seeing you guys when you are in town next weekend (I'm going to be on the Scrapbook Retreat - with your sis-in-law!).....but maybe I'll get to see you at Zoe. Prayers and blessings as you enter the home stretch of anticipation for Baby's arrival. :-)

Anonymous said...

Thinking that you inspired the dog to howl is looking at the glass as half empty. Maybe you actually inspired one of God's creatures to try to sing!

Anonymous said...

Hello Murray!
Just found your blog. I am thrilled to find out you are a daddy to be. What a blessed child.
With much affection,
Deana (Fulenwider) Herd
P.S. I actually went dog hunting today. I now have a new criteria for my future pet. "Howlin for Jesus!"