Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Tell us again, WHY are we doing this?

Ahhh, the classic WHY question. It’s been posed to every well-meaning worship minister at one time or another. “Why the singing of such happy clappy songs?” “Why must you wear such outlandishly stylish clothes?” “Why must your hair contain so much product?” These are a few of my favorites.

This Sunday in church, we’ll be dedicating some new babies to the Lord. The C of C’s I grew up in (for which I’m most thankful, and have precious memories of…) did not include such an element of worship in their services. Baby dedications, often referred to as a “Celebration of New Life”, are common now in many congregations. BAD in the 1970’s…GOOD in the 2000’s. Why?

Because it’s the right thing to do.

Jesus loved children and openly welcomed them. KIDS BELONG IN CHURCH. Don’t read that as, “You better get your kid to church.” Read that as “Your child has a special place in our family here, and is always welcome.” Seeing all those babies on stage reminds the church that little people are people, too. Matthew 18:2-4.

Secondly, the church plays a crucial role in the spiritual formation of children. These infants were born to members of our congregation, and life lived in community is a shared life. How my new little friend Brylee Hannah grows up…the things she is taught…the love she is shown…how she is treated directly impacts the kingdom of God. Because I’m a part of the body of Christ, I have a responsibility to her, and to her parents. The dedication this Sunday is the very important, foundational, essential beginning to affirming her, welcoming her, and assuring her parents that we will help them teach Brylee about God.

Thirdly, parents need a clear public demonstration of support & prayers during this exciting/stressful time. Jaime & I are expecting our first child this December. Every night we read a book that informs us day by day of our baby’s development, and also provides other tidbits & quotes on the subject of childrearing. Last night’s quote was “Having children is like installing a bowling alley in your head.” Isn’t that great!? Seriously, Jaime & I will need the love & support of our church (we need & have it now, but you know what I mean) when our child arrives. Having our child prayed for on stage by all of our elders gathered around will be a moment I will never forget.

A final thought. Hey, Jaime & I are still going through spiritual formation ourselves. Walking up there with our baby will force me to reflect / evaluate / assess my relationship with the Lord. Will the life I am now living be beneficial to my child’s development? What needs to change? What needs to fall away, and what needs to be fanned into flame?

I came across a terrific summary on baby dedication by Ted Weis, whom I’ve never met, but I think makes some great points. Check it out if you want more information on the importance of dedicating babies to the Lord.

Go to www.bible.org and search for “baby dedication”. You’ll be glad you did.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love you so much! I appreciate you sharing these great thougths. I had no idea there was a time when baby dedications were "bad". So glad we are open to doing it now...it is also a testimony to God's faithfulness. I know many of the couples dedicating their babies have struggled with infertility, miscarriages, etc. It's a very dark time if you've ever experienced it and being able to stand up in front of your church family with living, breathing proof of God's faithfulness and power in your arms in nothing short of amazing. I eagerly await the day we bring our little one before our church family and elders to receive a special blessing....I also eagerly await this Sunday when our dear friends Brylee, Jadon, George, Dalaney, Kennedy and all their friends will be blessed.

Sam said...

As someone who has recieved this blessing I could not agree with you more.

Kelly Vaughn said...

Just found your blog...loved all your thoughts! We are in anticipation with you and Jaime for your new little one. What a blessed home for that baby to come into...
-RV

Anonymous said...

But Murray, you didn't answser the questions:

“Why the singing of such happy clappy songs?” “Why must you wear such outlandishly stylish clothes?” “Why must your hair contain so much product?”

;)