Sunday, September 11, 2005

I love Sundays!

I love Sundays.

Today we started our new Sunday morning schedule. Worship services, back-to-back, with Bible classes offered simultaneously. It's a new innovation that we hope will allow for us to minister to more people with the life-changing grace of Jesus Christ. It seemed to work well today, we'll see the game films tomorrow in staff meeting.

Being 9/11, combined with a gorgeous day outside in northern Virginia, everyone seemed to arrive with hearts full of expectancy and anticipation. People here, in our church, had experienced (sight, smell, sound, feel) the tragic events of 9/11/01. On the powerful 2nd verse of "It is well with my soul", (a verse often omitted)..."though Satan should taunt me (by working through evil men who run planes into buildings), though trials should come, (a hurricane wipes out the homes of 250,000 people), let this blest assurance control---the CHRIST has regarded my helpless estate and has shed His own blood for my soul." Powerful. I could see the roof lifting off of our Costco-styled auditorium. And on the 3rd verse, as we praised the Lord for the glorious thought of "my sin not in part, but THE WHOLE, is nailed to the cross and I bear it no more, PRAISE THE LORD, PRAISE THE LORD, O my soul!" I couldn't help but raise my hands, confessing the lordship of Jesus Christ with body & voice & mind & heart & everything in me. I wasn't the only one either. Thank you Lord, for giving us permission to raise our hands to you. Something in the heart just clicks when we posture ourselves in the surrender pose. Totally awesome.

Then onto the Fairfax family picnic, run by the most efficient fellowship team around. Thanks to Lynn Belknap & Stan Bedford & your host of volunteers who fed over 600 people in 25 minutes or less...the hamburgers & hot dogs tasted great. The weather was absolutely beautiful, and the fellowship among us even more fresh and rejuvenating.

A quick trip to the quilt shop to pick up the fabric for Baby Sanderson's bedding. The coolest shades of blue, green, yellow...my wife has got the best taste ever in decorating. And a big thank you to Heidi Martin, our dear friend, who is coming this weekend to help it all come together.

Back home for a nice long Sunday afternoon nap. Ahhhhh......

A quick Target run (YES, we finally found the dark chocolate M & Ms!) on the way to small group at Joel & Edye's...where we ate pizza and watched the Cowboys win their first game of the season. (How 'bout those Redskins! 9-7, whew!) Oh yeah, we also shared prayer requests and worshipped the Lord in song & prayer. We are blessed with good friends who love us, and lift up our names to the Father. It's so great to live this life in Christ, walking with others every step along the way.

Now, back on the couch, resting up for the week ahead. God, you're so faithful. I love Sundays.
BABY UPDATE: Week 26 is well underway, and all is well. Jaime is drinking more water than ever (seems to help with the energy level). The baby is moving, and we are loving every minute of it. We're trying to enjoy all of the waiting and anticipating. Am I ready to be a father? Absolutely! Are you kidding, i have no idea! Thank you God, that babies take 40 weeks before their official arrival!

3 comments:

Ellyn said...

Welcome to the blog world! Can't wait to see you keep up all the deep and insightful thoughts and musings of a worship minister in the Metro DC area!

Keep singing and pass the peace!

Jill said...

I am looking forward to reading your blogs and especially keeping up with the baby updates. I can live vicariously through Jaime until it is my turn (which I promise won't be anytime soon!)!

Leann said...

The Dark chocolate M&M's exist after the Star Wars promotion??? Where are they...which Target...please share the secret!