Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Mandisa's in the house

Ok, I'm sitting here on the couch, chilling after a great day off...spent all day with my beautiful little girl, Faith. (Nana & Aunt Melody, we loooove the stroller!) She is cuter than ever, and I actually wish she would just stay the size she is right now for a long time. She is so cuddly and perfect size for my arms. Jaime was able to come home for lunch today, which was awesome (she started back to work this week, part-time), and then she was home for good at 3:15 pm. So we got to spend some good time together as well. Faith's taking a quick snooze, and Jaime ran up to the store for some scrapbook supplies...and the only other thing on the couch is my Nilla wafers...

When all of a sudden, Mandisa, on American Idol, busts out with a TESTIMONY to God's power in her life with a song "I wanna praise you" by Mary, Mary. INCREDIBLE! The song was great, for what it is, and she's clearly a person of great faith and bubbly energy & vitality. But what's incredible is her ability to sing that song on a show like Idol, to go completely against the grain of Hollywood and boldly share her faith. Clearly, it wasn't what celebrity judges Randy & Simon were looking for (not surprisingly). Paula blurted out that a bunch a people are now converting to the church of Mandisa, to which Mandisa quickly shook her head (of which I was proud). It's safe to say that none of them really got it.

Ok, for the 1st time this season, I'm texting in a vote...and I'm voting for Mandisa. To this point, I was pulling for Chris D, who I still believe will win, but I'm so proud of Mandisa, and I know the Lord will bless her for her boldness. And I think Simon was dead wrong on Chris, Idol needs to be a lot less Pop-ish, and Chris' rock style is a welcome relief from popurbia.

Psalm 73:28 says "But as for me, it is good to be near God. I have made the Sovereign LORD my refuge; I will tell of all your deeds." Mandisa stood up and proclaimed God's goodness tonight, and it moved me.

My prediction: Bucky's going home. And Mandisa has a huge career ahead of her in gospel music.

11 comments:

angie c said...

Jaime, I prayed for your return to work. I know it was hard leaving her. I hope you found the strength I prayed for.

Faith is BEAUTIFUL!! Keep the pictures coming...
ang

crazykarl7 said...

I think Taylor is the front runner.

Shayna Willis said...

I agree with Carl and I think Lisa Tucker is going home. ABOUT TIME! I agree about Mandisa. She was clearly upset by the church of Mandisa line and then, someone said something about worshipping her with a vote, I think Ryan to which she also looked uncomfortable.

Val said...

Ok so in the words of Randy, I'll give her "props" for her testimony. It was great to see someone with wonderful faith stepping out on a limb and singing a song like that, however, it really wasn't the best vocals, she was over pushing it. Many of the higher notes were off-key, mom and I were shaking our heads. Yes she has a voice but there are other wonderful Christian songs that would have suited her better to make a stance with.

I thought overall last night was terrible. No one sang to the quality of American Idol. And I disagree Shayna, Lisa has a fantastic voice, she has just been picking the wrong songs. I believe that once she gets a little older (remember she is only 16!!) she is going to be fabulous.

As for Bucky, Taylor and Ace, they have got to go!!

Chris will win, however I agree with Simon (a little) he pushed the envelope too far last night. It was too harsh to enjoy, I felt like if he had a guitar in his hand he would have smashed it on the stage. I LOVE what he's been doing in the past weeks.

I also LOVE Kathrine McPhee. She is so well trained and has a fabulous voice. But she needs a costumer!!

Can't wait for tonight, I expect a big upset!

jaime s said...

Carl & Shayna, I've got $20 bucks on Chris D going all the way. I like Taylor, but he can't dance, and he's, in Paula's words, an old soul in a apparently over 30 body. Lisa T. is near done, but I'm sure she has potential for the future. Val, my point is, Mandisa stood up for God on national TV...could it have been better? Maybe, but she defied major evil gravity to pull that off. Let's give her credit for that, and not too hastily shake our heads in dismay. Carinda Hicks showed me a worship leaders' website in Nashville who is selling Mandisa shirts...pretty cool.

Shayna Willis said...

What's the site, Murray?

I do think Lisa has a good voice, but she still needs to go . . .

Val said...

I agree, I was also amazed that she was able to stand up in front of a national (world?) audience and sing a Christian song. That was an amazing testimony. All I was doing was putting aside the statement she made and focusing on the purpose of this particular show, which is singing. She has done much better singing on previous weeks.

I had forgotten to mention before I too noticed her shake her head when Paula made the "Church of Mendeisa" comment. That was humbling. She will make a great gospel artist once she leaves AI.

Tanya said...

My last blog post (which was yesterday) was about American Idol, too - I'm hooked! I definitely think Bucky should go home tonight - it will probably be a toss up between him and Lisa. I think Chris will go all the way and win. I do enjoy listening to Mandisa, though - what an amazing voice and wonderful personality.

*I'm Ellyn's sister-in-law just incase you were wondering who I was :) That's how I found your blog!

jaime s said...

Thanks to Carinda, here's the "vote for Mandisa" t-shirt site:
http://www.uthstuph.com/ws/traviscottrell/shirts.shtml

Anonymous said...

i was at a meeting last night and forgot to set the vcr. i hope i find someone who taped mandisa. she reminds me of how i feel when jenny sings at church. it's like jenny draws in a deep breath, and then the sacred cinder blocks begin to vibrate. and i'm crying by the time she hits the second note. that's power.

Pearson Family said...

I like Taylor. I know he won't win (Chris will and Murray will win the bet), but I do hope he ends up in the top 3. Mandisa did stand out last night and how refreshing to have someone take a stand.