Sunday, July 02, 2006

Confession.....



I am overweight.

I have been feeling fat (like almost every other American girl past the age of 13) for the last few months. However, the mirror began confirming my suspicions so I decided to investigate. I went to the following website http://nhlbisupport.com/bmi/ and had my body mass index calculated. Sure enough, my number fell in the "overweight" section. Now, this post isn't an attempt to fish for compliments. I SERIOUSLY don't want those. In fact, please don't say, "but you look fine", or "you just had a baby" because I may be tempted to believe you and catch some more couch time and stack on even more weight. The reason I am admitting my weight status is for some accountability. In all honesty, I don't feel like I "look" that overweight with clothes on. But I know that I am. I FEEL overweight. I can't walk up a flight of stairs without being out of breath. I feel a lot more body parts jiggle when I move. I am tired a lot more than I used to be. So for those reasons I have decided to take action. Murray and I have developed a "body awareness plan" to help get us back in shape. I wanted to start it on July 1st so that I could track the duration easier plus I think all diets, exercise plans, etc. should start at the beginning of the week (or month). I started off with all these rules (mostly inspired by Oprah's 12 week weight loss plan) but realized that just wasn't realistic for me. So I trimmed it down and decided to commit to the following:

1) Eat breakfast every day.
2) Eat one healthy snack between lunch and dinner.
3) Eat mostly healthy meals (one day to indulge a little).
4) No food after 7:30 pm
5) Complete five 30 minute workouts a week.
6) Drink six 8 oz. glasses of water a day (build up to 8 glasses).

That's it! So far I am doing great (as of day 2). #s 4,5,6 are proving to be the "tough ones" but I am determined to follow through!!!

The reason I am posting about this is for a little accountability. I have tried to start up something like this for awhile (always on a Monday) and by Tuesday I had quit and was saying, "maybe next Monday".... and so on. So now that more than one person knows I have more motivation to actually follow through this time! I plan to give a weekly blurb to help me chart my progress.

Here's to a healthier me!! Anyone care to join me????

P.S. A special thank you to my sister, Shellie, for finding us a nearly new jogging stroller for $20. She's the QUEEN of finding deals at rummage sales!!! I now can get out and go with Faith which will make #5 a little easier for me.

10 comments:

Mark Lowenstein said...

Hi there!!

Go for it! After you have conquered the effects of overweight"ness", you'll feel great!!

A couple of great books to read: ABS Diet and Body 4 Life. I have two of these books at home and love the ABS Diet more. They include meal plans, menus, exercise plan, etc. Body 4 Life provides about the same thing ABS Diet provides.

I learned eating a healthy late night snacks is beneficial such as a bowl of Wheaties and a cup of fruit. There are certain foods we must avoid after hours or they'll sit in your digestive tract for hours and adds fat to your fat wall. :|

If you are a member of a gym elsewhere, consider "Basic Training" where they use "resistance bands" and lots of cardios!

Do you have a partner? I take it that Murray is your partner. This is important to give you added motivation to reach your goal(s).

Work up a sweat and keep up with your daily workout!

One last thing, Body 4 Life recommends that you hold your favorite food til Sunday after doing all the workout Monday through Saturday. One your "seventh day", reward yourself by eating your favorite (junk) foods but don't overdo it! :)

Tanya said...

Thanks for the inspiration, Jaime! I think I will give it a try, too. I feel "blah" almost everyday - not a great feeling! I have been walking around the neighborhood at least 4 times a week - last week was only twice and today I "slept in" SO maybe tomorrow I will walk!? I'm disappointed in myself when I don't get up to walk or excersise. I love your list. I'm going to definitely give it a try.

Thanks again for the inspiration!

Candice said...

I would like to focus on these guidelines along with you. I will have to wait until I get back from vacation next week :).

I know what you mean about losing your breath easily and just having an overall sluggish feeling. I feel like I can't find time to exercise, but it's really just a matter of commitment.

Way to go Jaime! I know you can do it! You will feel so much better with regular activity.

I'm in with you!

Sign2Jill said...

Hi Jaime,

For Sam and myself, we've noticed that paying for a gym membership will "force" you to get your exercise! We attend the GMU Freedom and Aqua Center in Manassas. The fact that we're paying for the membership and that we have a contract is motivation for us!

To me, walking or jogging around the neighborhood gets boring after a while, especially in the colder months. A lot of gyms also have child-care services and some of them will "reduce" the membership if you agree to go in before 4pm.

Of note, this is the ONLY thing that works for us! Someday when we have more house space, I think we will set-up a gym in our home to save on the cost of memberships!

Happy 4th!

Holly O'Quinn said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Holly O'Quinn said...

Jaime,
Straws. The next time you go to the grocery store get a box of straws and put one in your glass of water everytime you fill your water glass. I drink water a lot faster and more frequently with a straw. I don't know what it is, but it works.

Way to go on getting back in shape. Setting goals means you are already on your way to better health. People who actually write goals down rather than think about them have a better chance at suceeding. You can do it!

jaime s said...

Thanks everyone for the encouragement and great workout/eating tips! I will continue to keep a little update as the weeks pass!

I LOVE the straws idea, Holly! I have found that that REALLY helps! For some reason, it's hard for me to drink much of anything (Murray can down a whole bottle of water in less than a minute...I have mine with me all day long). Thanks for the tip!

jaime s said...

Ok, I've waited a few days, but let me now say...honey, you are beautiful. I have never been happier in my entire life, and you are and always will be the woman of my dreams. I am proud of you for taking steps to being healthier and having more energy, but you don't need to change one thing about you to make me love you more! Here's a "BIG hug" from me & Faithy to tell you how much we love you & are proud of you. We'll be with you every step of the way (in the jogging stroller or on the couch when you're enjoying your favorite snack!) Love you, MS

Jill said...

Jaime, thanks for your inspiration! I completely know how you feel when you say that it is hard to see because clothes can hide it, but you know it yourself. I have tried to get into action many times and have failed. I always seem to need someone to do the exercising part with me and that is hard! I hope I can incorporate some of what you are doing into my life too so I look and feel better. Thanks!

angie c said...

I agree about the straws. Or bottled water. I drink WAY more water if it's already prepared and cold for me. Lazy, I know but I just had a baby, too and am using that as an excuse.

You're inspiring...the snack and exercise plan is a great one. No diets. They don't work. Just eat right and exercise. Good luck!!