Friday, October 21, 2005

How Great is Our God!

I recently received this email from my dear friend and FXCC member Dave about his reflection on God's goodness, springing from two songs we often sing: the classic hymn "How Great Thou Art" and "How Great Is Our God".

Why is Our God So Great?

Have you ever asked yourself this question? It almost seems like I need to whisper it, because I’m afraid God might hear me doubting Him. But two songs I know of – one old, and one new – tell me some very definite things for which I can admire God. How Great Thou Art (#76 in Songs of Faith and Praise) allows me to thank God for His creativity, for His incredible generosity to me through the gift of Jesus, and for making my eternity certain. There are so many things God has done for all of us, it sometimes seems a little weak as I try to thank Him by singing a few words. Perhaps the words in that old hymn let us say to the Creator ‘thanks’ for those things which are tangible, and for those gifts which should be most meaningful. A new song –maybe not unlike the one I’ll sing in heaven—let’s me marvel at His nature, His being, and not so much because of what He’s doing for me. ‘How Great Is Our God’ isn’t a question, it’s a proclamation that our God is glorious. He exists where there’s light, and everything trembles at the sound of Him. One phrase calls Him a lion and a lamb, which to us earthbound beings is confusing, until I read that He’s timeless, and capable of being both creatures. A lion…strong and courageous, and capable of inspiring fright in those nearby. A lamb…can you imagine anything more gentle? Our God is a doer, and I thank Him for creating and taking care of me eternally. But there are times that I need to stand in wonder of Him, just be near the Holy One and imagine (like another song tells me to do ‘…I can only imagine’) what awaits me after life here on earth. Being near – no, IN Christ is almost too much to fathom. But it lifts me, somehow. Wow, is all I can say at the moment…


Thank you Dave, your thoughts inspire & encourage us all to ponder what we sing, and to meditate on God's goodness. Sometimes "wow" is all there is...

This weekend is our Worship Team retreat! AWESOME! I am so pumped. I'm even glad it's raining...because we could use the rain, and it forces us to be inside allowing the brightness of God's presence to shatter the gray clouds outside. Say a prayer that God will lead us and inspire us, and show us HIS WILL for our ministry as we meet together tonight & tomorrow morning.

Jaime had her 32 week check-up on Wednesday of this week. Baby's heartbeat was strong. The doctor said Jaime & the baby are "perfect". I couldn't agree more. Please keep Jaime & the baby in your prayers as we approach mid-December. Thanks for all the prayers & well wishes already!

1 comment:

Sam said...

Where are the pictures? You have the knowledge, you must follow it up with action.