Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Too much Freedom of Speech

I mentioned in a post last week that we were unfortunately subjected to an extremely offensive conversation on our flight from Dallas to Washington last Saturday night. The only reason it bears mentioning here is that I think as Christians we must start speaking up more in situations such as this.

Here’s what happened. A man and woman were seated in the row behind us, with one seat between them. Over the 2.5 hour flight, I learned WAY too much about this couple. They worked for the same Dallas-based company and were headed to Reston, VA for a training seminar. The guy was married. The girl was divorced. They ordered beers twice (at $5 each) and I’m certain their beverage choice reduced their natural levels of decorum and/or shame. His only hope after we landed and he checked into the hotel room was that the bar downstairs might still be open.

They spoke loudly and openly, using four-letter words as main staples in their vocabulary. (As she often does, Jaime put in ear plugs so she could sleep better on the plane. She still heard most of their conversation.) And it wasn’t an argument; it was just a co-worker chat on a long plane ride. She lamented her divorce and also spoke of her recent purchase of $200 jeans. He spoke of bars and was trying to get to know her better. I got the feeling that his marriage wasn’t all it could be.

The conversation was totally inappropriate and offensive. Looking back on it, I wish I had turned around and started a conversation. I could have said something like this. “I overhead your seminar is in Reston, I live in this area and it’s a great place for a corporate meeting, lots of good restaurants and shopping. You should really enjoy it. I hope it goes well. [change of subject] If you don’t mind, would you please lower your voices a bit, especially when you say words like _________ and _________? I find those words offensive. That would be much appreciated. Thanks, and enjoy your time in the D.C. area!” Can you imagine the looks on their faces when I turned around?

Usually, my first reaction in situations like these is to send a dirty, unapproving glance their way. But really, this brief life calls for more directness…more straightforward speech. I also began wondering what my life, my speech would be like if I didn’t have Christ in my life. What if no one has ever taken the time to tell these people about the life-changing grace & forgiveness of God? I truly did care about their souls. Normally, I view plane conversations as potential outreach moments…from the sound of things, I jumped to the conclusion that they would not be interested in Jesus.

A year from now, when we have a child within hearing distance of words like this, it won’t be a problem. I’ll have no trouble mustering up courage. But my goal is to have the Proverbs 4 kind of “speak from the heart” speech that it completely honest and direct in all conversations, without having to have exterior motivations (children around, or fearing for their souls.) I don’t want to suffer in silence anymore, and I don’t believe I have to…it’s okay to speak up and challenge a total stranger if his or her behavior is offensive. Maybe a well-worded admonition will make someone think, and plant a seed that a better way of life is out there somewhere.

“Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity. Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone.” Colossians 4:5-6

Any suggestions??????

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Murray, this is Monica jumping in. :) I think that what you imagined yourself saying to the two rather intoxicated individuals would be accepted but maybe a bit risky? A safer bet may be this: you could inform the flight attendant of this rowdy and loud behavior that's bothersome to you. Then, later, that FA can politely ask them to quiet down, making it LESS OBVIOUS that it was YOU who told him/her. I think that a flight attendant may be viewed as "higher authority" by these people (but not higher than our loving ministers who are wonderful leaders!!!). The people buzzed on beer would probably MOST LIKELY accept the FA's request to quiet down. I wouldn't risk turning around for fear of getting a negative or angry response. And perhaps, after the FA asks them to quiet down, you could THEN turn around and start a conversation about a local place with excellent restaurants, etc. :) They cannot then accuse you of reporting them to the FA. :) Only God would know and he would be SMILING down upon you!
Monica Shimmin - taking a BREAK from graduate school HOMEWORK - just 2 more months til I get that DEGREE!