Thursday, December 01, 2005

World AIDS Day

I never knew World AIDS Day was December 1st. I vaguely rememer hearing about World AIDS Day in recent years. Today, I got an email from Rick Warren, the senior minister at 22,000 member Saddleback Church, which Rick started with his wife in 1980, about how I could help our government raise awareness of the AIDS crisis, and what I could do TODAY to help in the effort. At first I was like, oh yeah, another email from mega-millionaire Rick Warren...the guy who does cool things for God in a really big way, things I could never do.

Then I thought, GET BEHIND ME SATAN, I WILL NOT BUY THAT LIE. I'm a child of God, a disciple of Jesus Christ, who said that the Father would do even greater things through those that followed Him (Jesus). Why should I cower at what Rick is doing, and believe that kind of GOD-activity can only happen in Southern California?

After I read the email from Rick, I picked up my favorite periodical, Cutting Edge, produced by the Vineyard Church. It's an excellent magazine, always convicting. The feature article was on Rick Warren. I can't get away from this guy!

If you're not aware, Rick Warren authored The Purpose Driven Life, which is the best-selling non-fiction book in American history. He talks openly in this article about how he used the millions & millions that started pouring in from book sales to 1. repay Saddleback Church every dime of salary they had paid him over 25 years, and 2. to set up 3 non-profit foundations. He said he & his wife were determined not to change their lifestyle, or to spend the millions on themselves. Rick still drives a four-year old Ford truck. They did not buy a bigger home, nor a guest home. The Saddleback Church now has 22,000 members, and has PLANTED 34 CHURCHES. They have 2,600 small groups. This man is not afraid of letting God work powerfully in his life. Here are a few Rick quotes from the article.

About the church in a corporate world:

"In the body of Christ, we are a body, not a business. I'm totally against the corporate model of organization. We are an organism, not an organization. We are a family, and families aren't based on policies, but on relationships, and the greater the relationship, the greater the trust."

About what Americans need from the church:

What I think people in America are asking is "are Christians going to care about the things we expect them to care about: justice, poverty, illness, the works of Jesus. A lot of people want to study the steps of Jesus. I say, let's study the stops of Jesus. What did Jesus stop to do? What kind of things did He allow to interrupt His agenda? We need to have a kind of openness to 'Lord, what do you want me to do next?'"

About stewardship:

"When Kay & I got married 30 years ago, we started raising our tithe every year by one percent. So after the first year of marriage, we went to eleven percent, second year twelve, third year to thirteen, and so on. We did that because we found that every time we give, it broeke the grip of materialism in our life. It made us more like Jesus. It makes my heart grow bigger every time I'm generous. Well, now we've been married 30 years, and we actually give away 90 percent and we live on ten. And, honestly, that's just a whole lot of fun! And, really, I don't have a lot of needs. I just need to replace socks occasionally."

About the President of Rwanda:

"The President of Rwanda read The Purpose Driven Life a year ago, wrote me a note and said, 'It changed my life. I want you to come to Rwanda. We want to be the first Purpose-Driven Nation!'"


It's natural and easy to sit back and think, wow, God, that's nice that you did that through Rick Warren, but my circumstances are different. I could never accomplish those sort of things. So here's a final prayer-thought from me..."O God, I believe in You, and Your power to touch this world and interact with your people. I am thankful for what You've done in and through Rick Warren. I believe You can & will do powerful things in me, and through me, for a lost & dying world for your glory; help my unbelief!"

Tune in tommorrow for pictures from our recent trip to Lucketts, VA to cut down our Christmas tree!








(www.vineyardusa.org)

1 comment:

Brooks Inc. said...

Murray-

Thank so much for sharing those thoughts from Rick Warren and your perspective on them. They are very challenging ! May the Lord continue to bless you and Jaime...you both are a channel of His love to all who know you!

Love you guys-
Becky
***With each day that passes I get a little more beside myself for Baby Sanderson's arrival!